Monday, November 5, 2007

Tudor Mania

So, I am trying to infect everyone I come into contact with lately with Tudor Mania. I recently read The Other Boleyn Girl while traveling and now spend my lunch hours gathering facts just because it's really interesting. A good website is www.tudorhistory.org . They have biographies of each of Henry VIII's six wives and of course the children too.

Like, you always here about Anne Boleyn, the queen who lost her head, but I didn't really know that she was the mother of Queen Elizabeth 1, who basically turned Great Britain into a powerhouse empire.

It's catching on too. My mom and I spent Saturday afternoon discussing whether Henry ripped Jane Seymour's Child from her womb, causing her to die 12 days later or not. And today already I've got a friend checking into the historical novels based in this time period by Philippa Gregory.

Then of course, J and I watched the first Elizabeth movie this weekend so we could see the one in theaters soon. We spent the weekend trading facts about Bloody Mary, Elizabeth the Virgin Queen, why we didn't learn about this in school and why, if Walsingham (sp?) was so important to English history we had never heard of him before.

It was really fun.

No comments: