Friday, November 9, 2007

Super Suppers are Super

I think Super Suppers is a brilliant idea. And, for its target market I think it really works. The target market seems to be busy families. People who are not eating a home cooked meal as much as they would like. I condsider myself to fit into that market, only my kids aren't full time.

In a nutshell, it is a working kitchen in which different stations are provided, each containing ingredients for a different meal recipe.

You go and decide how many meals, 3, 6, or 12, you want to make and which ones. For most of the meals it is actually just the entree, not the side dishes. They have about 12 meal recipes per month. Then you go to the station with the meal you want and put it all together in a full order or a 1/2 order. It takes about 10 minutes to make each recipe.

You close up the container when you're done and stick a lable on it which gives you cooking instructions. Then you take it home and keep the meals in your freezer for up to 6 months.

So, it sounds so simple and kind of strange, like why don't you just go to the store and get the stuff yourself. Good question.

1. It'ss all laid out with the ingredients and the correct size measuring cups and spoons that you need. So it is assembled quickly.
2. They do all the clean up.
3. They do a lot with meat, which if you read below is something not all of us are good at cooking.

Me and J eat out some. Middling to a lot. I like to cook but as with everything for me, timing is everything. Sometimes I really don't want to cook. And J can cook some, but God bless him, I don't want to eat meatloaf every night of my life. Or, any night for that matter. But I digress.

So, we have been on a big tear to save some $, reduce the carbon footprint, not collect a lot of crap that we don't need, which takes conscious effort, especially with the kids. I am actually on a shopping hiatus right now. That is what finally prompted me to step inside to Super Suppers.

So, is it cheaper than eating out? I would argue yes. The cost for 6 meals with about 6 sevings each is $115 + Tax. Since each meal is actually two meals for us its like 10 meals for about $125 or so. That's about $12 for the entree for two of us. Or, about $6 a person per meal which is supstantially cheaper than eating out even with a salad and a side, except for Taco Bueno but that is another story.

Plus, we've really liked the food so far. Everything is really flavorful. I think J likes the variety added to our meal repertoire. He also is loving that I am so excited about food prep! Last night it was Asian Flank Steak with Spicy creamy corn. N and J loved it and I was thrilled that I cooked a steak.

http://www.ssowassook.com/

1 comment:

sue said...

I can't wait to do this with you....